Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Beatitudes: Matthew 5: 1 - 12




As people all over the world pray, there is a common word that is used to plead for help in any situation. That word is “bless”, you may have heard or used it yourself in your communication with Heavenly Father. “Please bless this home”, “Bless this food”, “Bless our family”. The word “blessed” is used again and again in Matthew 5:1-12 as the beatitudes are introduced. Bless is a word that is so commonly used, but I have never thought to discover the real meaning of bless, blessed or blessedness, yet I have so many blessings in my life. In the Institute Student Manual, the word “blessedness” is defined as being “higher than happiness”. The Merrium-Webster dictionary defines “blessed” as “enjoying the bliss of heaven”. Thus, if you follow what was taught in the Sermon on the Mount than you will be filled with something that is higher than happiness, you will be blessed.

Matthew 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in Spirit”
One of my first semesters back at school, I was called to be a Sunday School Teacher teaching the New Testament. I have been taught the stories my entire life, but I didn’t feel like I had the knowledge or the ability to teach it to others. At this time, I relied on the Lord in all aspects of preparing and delivering my lesson. I was so blessed during this time because I overcame a big weakness for me which was public speaking. I use to only take classes that did not require any presentations because of my fear of speaking in public. The first Sunday, I was scared to death, but with much prayer and fasting, I did it! I taught and I owed my success in teaching to the Lord, for it was because of Him that I was able to do that. I am so thankful for that experience because through it I have been able to overcome my weakness and come closer to Christ.

Matthew 5:6 ”Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness”
I served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; this was a time in my life that I devoted 18 months to the Lord, preaching the Gospel. During this time, I discovered the Gospel like I never have before. As I had daily personal and companionship study, studying the scriptures and as I taught lessons to those that were interested in the Gospel, I had an appetite for the gospel that encompassed my entire being. My life was all about striving for righteousness and it made my life so fulfilling.


Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers”
Peace is a trait that I strive to have in my life continually. It is something that is quickly recognized when it is not present. As I have been filled with peace, personally, spiritually, physically, and emotionally, my life has truly been blessed. As I have returned to school to continue to pursue my education, I have been confused and filled with turmoil as the time to make decisions neared. I use the word turmoil because that is how I always feel when I don’t have the presence of peace in my life. In the recent weeks as school has started, I have strived to have consistent, daily scripture study and I have also made an effort to take care of myself physically as I exercise regularly and eat healthily. I have noticed a complete change as I feel peace envelop my life. I still am not completely sure what I need to do at this time, but I do know that everything will work out and I feel that I am in control of my life because of the peace that I feel as I have put my life in line with the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment